HEAVEN STANDING OPEN
II. APPLICATION OF DANIEL SEVEN
There are a few major
observations to be made from the foregoing comments which are consistent throughout the
I. A STRIKING DIFFERENCE
A very great difference inherently exists between
THE WRATH OF THE ANTICHRIST
and THE WRATH OF GOD
in all five scenes of
Dan 7 indicated above:
- The NATURE of the two wraths: Just before Christ returns the Antichrist will
vent his WICKED wrath against the covenant people and all who will not worship
him. Immediately following the return of Christ, the RIGHTEOUS wrath of God will
be poured out against the Antichrist and his forces.
- The TIME relationships: The two periods of wrath do NOT occupy the
same period of time. The wrath of God STOPS the wrath of the Antichrist. The
return of Christ for the resurrection and glorification of the saints is shortly
AFTER the heavens are rolled back and the wrath of God begins. The saints are
NOT wearing out the Antichrist and his kingdom at the same time the Antichrist is
wearing out the saints. God gives the saints into the hands of the Antichrist and his
forces during the entire 42 months of the wrath of the Antichrist. Then God through the
court gives the Antichrist and those with him into the hands of the saints for 44 1/2
months to pour out the wrath of God. It is obvious that the saints have been raised and
glorified at the END of the wrath of the Antichrist and at the BEGINNING
of the wrath of God.
II. THE WRATH OF THE ANTICHRIST
The 42 months of wrath of the Antichrist (the
little horn) is in the last half of Daniel's 70th week of 7 years: See also: Dan
7:25; 9:27; 12:7,11; Rev 6:12-17; 12:6,14; 13:5.
- The wrath of the Antichrist BEGINS in the MIDDLE of Daniel's 70th week
of 7 years. When we correlate all the passages that mention the time, times, and the
dividing of a time, the 1260 days, and the 42 months in Daniel and Revelation, we have
the last half of the 70th week. The language is too explicit in each context to be
misunderstood. That period of 42 months begins when the sacrifice is taken away and the
abomination of desolation begins, and that is explicitly in the MIDDLE of the week, Dan
9:27; Mt 24:15-22, 29-31.
- The great tribulation also begins in the MIDDLE of the week. This is clear
from Mt 24:15-22, for the great tribulation begins at the time the abomination stands
in the holy place which is the middle of the week. The great tribulation, however,
evidently includes both the wrath of the Antichrist and the wrath of God, Rev 2:20-22;
3:10; Lk 21:34-36; Rev 16:15; 18:4; 22:18.
- The wrath of the Antichrist ENDS near the END of the week of 7 years, being
stopped by the rolling back of the heavens and the setting up of the court of heaven in
the open heavens. Since the wrath of the Antichrist begins in the middle of the week
and lasts for 42 months (except that God will cut off a little of it, Mt 24:22), it is
obvious that 42 months from the middle of the week is the end of the week when the
heavens are rolled back and the wrath of God begins.
- The Antichrist will NOT be destroyed (put into the lake of fire) until the
end of the wrath of God, which is 1335 days AFTER the heavens are rolled back. However,
the Antichrist will be subjected to an utterly helpless and destroyed state of power by
the saints and angels during the first 5 vials. Then he will be given a short break
under vial 6 to prepare for Armageddon under vial 7, Rev 16:12-16.
C. THE HEAVENS ROLLED BACK, Dan 7:9-10,18,22,26-27; Rev 6:12-17;
The rolling back of the heavens:
- PROVIDES for an open judgment, viewed by all creation, Dan 7:9-10, 13-14, 18, 22,
26-27; Rev 6:12-17.
- INCLUDES all the end-time throne scenes, Rev 7:9-17; 14:1-5; 15:1-4.
- ENDS the wrath of the Antichrist, as indicated above.
- ENDS the church age, Rom 11:15 (resurrection); Mt 24:29-31,36-51; I Thess
- ENDS the current Gentile world system, Rev 6:12-17; 11:15-18; Rom 11:15,25.
- Provides fulfillment of the 6 prophecies of Dan 9:24 including the seventy weeks
prophecy (which makes 7 prophecies).
- BEGINS the wrath of God, Dan 7; Rev 6:12-17; 11:15-18; Mt 24:29-31,36-51.
- BEGINS the Millennium, Dan 7; Rev 6:12-17; 11:15-18; Mt 24:29-31,36-51.
- Is the one incomparable zenith point in time that turns 6,000 years of the
rule of sin upside down, and brings in the 1,000 years of the righteous reign of
Christ, Dan 7; Rev 6:12-17; 11:15-18; Mt 24:29-31,36-51; I Thess 4:13--5:3; et al.
- Is the time of the resurrection, rapture, and rewarding of the saints. This
is necessitated by the saints taking the kingdom of the Antichrist away from him for
they could not do so otherwise, Dan 7:18,22,26-27; Mt 24:29-31,36-51; Rev 11:15-18; I
Thess 4:13--5:9; II Thess 2:1-8.
D. THE PERIOD OF GOD'S WRATH, Dan 7:9-10, 13-14, 18, 22,
26-27; 12:12; Mt 24:29-31; Rev 6:12-17; 11:18; 16:1-21; 18:4; 22:18; et al.
- The period of God's wrath is the same period of time as that of the 6th
seal (Rev 6:12-17), which is clearly the time the kingdom of this world becomes the
kingdom of our God and of Christ, Rev 11:15-18.
- The period of God's wrath is the same time as the 7th trumpet when the
kingdom of this world becomes the kingdom of our God and His Christ (Rev 11:15-18). The
Scriptures explicitly state that the wrath of God begins when the 7th trumpet is
sounded, Rev 11:15-18.
- The period of God's wrath is the same period of time as the seven vials,
which are all full of God's wrath, Rev 16. The throne scene in Rev 15 and 16 is the
same as Rev 6:12-17; 7:9-17; and Dan 7:9-10,13-14,22,26-27.
- The period of God's wrath is the time Christ comes with His saints and
angels to execute judgment upon the ungodly who disobey God, June 14-15; II Thess
1:7-9. Christ first comes FOR His saints while the heavens are standing open. Christ
will then sit on His judgment seat (the throne of His glory, Mt 25:31-32) in mid-heaven
(I Thess 2:19; 3:13; 5:23; I Pet 1:7,13; I John 2:28 check the Gk in these passages),
and judge his saints and the nations while the heavens are standing open, while God is
looking on, and in view of all intelligent creatures in heaven, on earth, and in hell
- The period of God's wrath is the time of vengeance requested by the
spirits of the saints under the altar, Rev 6:9-11. The souls in paradise cried,
"How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those
who dwell on the earth?" Rev 6:9-11.
- The period of God's wrath is the 1335 days of blessedness promised to
those who wait, Dan 12:12. The 1335 days of Dan 12:12 are days of blessedness during
which the saints will be given the perfect measure of God's power and wrath to
execute upon the Antichrist and his followers, Dan 7:18.22.26-27.
- The period of God's wrath is the same time and the same trumpet blowing
that gathers God's elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth
to the uttermost part of heaven, Mt 24: 29-31; Mk 13:24-26; II Thess 2:1; I Cor
15:51-52; I Thess 4:13-18.
- The period of God's wrath is the same time the saints are gathered to the
Lord in II Thess 2:1. ALL these passages that speak of God's wrath require
the Antichrist to be revealed FIRST.
- The period of God's wrath begins at the same time the day of the Lord
comes as a "thief," which is also the same time the saints are gathered to
the Lord in the air, I Thess 4:13--5:9.
- The period of God's wrath begins at the same time the day of the Lord
begins, but is AFTER the Antichrist is revealed and has poured our his wrath
for 42 months, I Thess 5:1-3; II Thess 2:1-12. When the Antichrist is revealed, God
will send "strong delusion" upon the unbelieving world because they refused
to repent and believe. That strong deception is God letting Satan give the Antichrist
miracle working powers, II Thess 2:9-10 & Rev 13.
E. THE RETURN OF CHRIST FOR AND WITH HIS SAINTS.
The return of Christ and the resurrection and
glorification of the saints is when:
"51 And He said to him,
"Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see HEAVEN STANDING
OPEN, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man,"
- The heavens are rolled back and the court of heaven is set up in mid-heaven.
This includes setting up the throne of God and twenty-four thrones for the twenty-four
- Christ is ushered in before the throne of God, is crowned amid the glories of
heaven's own inaugural ceremonies, and receives the millennial kingdom to reign
for a thousand years.
- Christ descends to some distance above the earth with many myriads of angels
and the spirits of the saints whose bodies died in the past.
- Christ sets up His judgment seat, the throne of His glory, at some considerable
distance above the earth, Mt 25:31-32. This appears to be in conjunction with the
court of heaven: perhaps there will be two courts with two sets of "the
- A great host of many, many millions of angels descend on down to all parts
of the earth with the disembodied spirits of the saved. Their bodies will be raised,
reunited with their spirits, and glorified in a moment in the twinkling of an eye along
with the living saints, I Cor 15:51-52.
- The glorified saints and the angels ascend back to meet Christ in the air.
The heavenly court which includes the throne of God, the four cherubim, twenty-four
elders, and many millions of angels is nearby in the open heavens.
- Christ will judge all nations, separating His covenant people from all the
others -- the righteous from the unrighteous, Mt 25:31-46. He will confess the
faithful saved who confessed Him and deny the unfaithful saved who denied Him. He will
do this before the Father and before the holy angels, Mt 10:32-22; Lk 12:8-9; Rev 3:5.
Christ will also raise and judge all the saved at this time -- space will not allow
discussion of this in this book. See Chapter VIII for a bit more information on the
judgment seat of Christ.
- Christ will then present His bride (all the glorified covenant people)
before the Father's throne in holiness. These will already have been judged and
rewarded and are appropriate to be presented to the Father and to minister before His
throne eternally, Rev 7:9-17.
- At this point the scenes of Rev 7:9-17; 14:1-5; and Rev 15:1-4 fit into the
divine master drama. These are God's elect whom God has very specially prepared to
be filled with all His fullness and to share a unique oneness, a one entity
relationship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- The seven angels now begin preparations for pouring out the seven vials over the
1335 days of God's wrath, Rev 15 & 16. This period of time begins
approximately when the heavens are rolled back and ends with Armageddon.
- Christ then returns to the earth with the saints and angels in flaming fire
to execute God's wrath upon the Antichrist and the world, and finally to remove the
enemy and rule in righteousness for a thousand years.
- The heavens will remain open until after Christ is seated on His throne in
Jerusalem and the saints and angels are viewed ascending and descending between the
throne of God in heaven and the throne of Christ in Jerusalem.
- The heavens being rolled back and standing open with the throne of God
visible to the earth and all creation, all these formal, official, and divine
activities will be public and universal. This will be the most dramatic, the most
awesome, and the most glorious occasion in the history of the heavens and the earth,
Dan 7:9-10, 13-14, 18, 22, 26-27; Mt 24:29-31; Rev 6:12-17; 10:1-7; 11:14-19; John
1:51; Mt 26:63-64; Mk 14:61-62; I Cor 15:51-12; I Thess 4:13-18; 3:13; Rev 15; II Thess
1:7-9; Jude 14-15; Zech 14:4-11; Joel 2:1-11; Rev 16; etc.
- The wrath of God begins when the heavens are rolled back, and continues
through 1335 days of blessedness, Dan 12:12. The saints will then execute God's
righteous wrath against the Antichrist and his forces to avenge the blood of the
saints, against world authorities for their atrocities, against the world for general
wickedness, and against the unfaithful saved of the ages for their unfaithfulness.